Google announced a major AdWords campaign change on October 4 to the way daily budgets are spent in keyword search campaigns. Previously Google allowed the daily spend overages of as much as 20 percent of the set budget daily. The new budget setting allows for as much as double the daily setting to accommodate and take advantage of the variances in daily search traffic. While the daily budget can be exceeded, you won’t be charged more than your daily budget would’ve allowed for over 30.4 days.
How to Check Over Delivery
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click the reporting icon in the upper right corner of your account.
- Select Predefined, then Basic from the drop-down menu.
- Click Overdelivery.
Why over delivery is required ?
If google end up showing your ad too much — to the point where you accrue more costs than your daily budget allows for over a billing cycle — then google will give you a credit for those extra costs.
What to Look For
- Days/times in analytics that show you receive poor quality traffic. For example, if you receive poorer performance on the weekend, but still want to keep a presence, you may not want to run those days. You can also choose to use a bid adjustment to reduction.
- If you had trouble getting traffic in the past, and have over-set the daily budgets, this could be a problem if there is a influx of activity or even a slow gradual daily overage, that impacts the bottom line at the end of the month (based on the over-set budget). Watch daily spending closely to ensure it is consistent and in-line with your goals.